1890-1900 Lunsford

James W. Lunsford The Ocean and the Sunset, The Hills and the Clouds: Looking at Santa Monica, illustrated by Alice N. Lunsford, 1983, 1973, 1949, 1948, 1934, 1933, 1926, 1920, 1810, 1908, 1893,  1890, [late] 1800s

     Santa Monica Pier-Arcadia Terrace

     "10. Arcadia Hotel Bricks, 1653-1661 Appian Way. During the excavation for the foundation of this building in 1948, a number of bricks from the original foundation of the Arcadia Hotel, circa [late] 1800s, were turned up, and one of the bricks was imbedded in the foundation of the new building."

     Ocean Park

     "One of the oldest sections of Santa Monica, Ocean Park had its beginning in 1893 when the Santa Fe Railroad constructed a passenger station and baggage room at what is now the intersection of Hill Street and Neilson Way and planted a few trees and grass on nearby plot of ground that was then called Ocean Park. The name clung and eventually was extended to the entire area. The original station was razed in 1920. There is some evidence that the trees had been planted before 1893 by either W.S. Vawter or E.J. Vawter, who wished to improve their real estate tract. Ocean Park, comprising the area south of Pico and west of Lincoln, is rich in notable sites.

     40. Hostetter House, 2601 Second Street, corner of Beach and Second. This distinctive corner house, formerly owned by Moses Hostetter, is also a candidate for being one of the oldest residential buildings in the city. It is believed to have been built about 1890 although, again, its exact age has yet to be established.

     56. Phillips Chapel, CME Church, 401 Bay Street. This may be the oldest continuously occupied public building in the city. Originally built in either 1890 or 1895 as the Washington School at Fourth and Ashland, it was later moved to this site and dedicated on October 4, 1908. It was remodeled in 1910 and again in 1949, but the original architecture of the building has been retained."

Ocean Park

     "46. Santa Monica Alternative School House, 2802 Fourth Street. The former Washington School, at the northwest corner of Fourth and Ashland. The oldest existing school site in Santa Monica was established as Washington School in 1890 and has been in continuous school use since. The present building was constructed in 1934 after the 1933 earthquake and is patterned after the "Santa Monica Plan" developed by the architectural firm of Marsh, Smith and Powell, who also designed the Roosevelt School at Lincoln and Montana. The "Santa Monica Plan," incorporating outdoor activity areas immediately acccessible to classrooms, was a result of experiences incurred by having to hold classes in tents for a year after the earthquake."

(Back to Sources)

 Kelyn Roberts 2017