1913 Lunsford

James W. Lunsford The Ocean and the Sunset, The Hills and the Clouds: Looking at Santa Monica, illustrated by Alice N. Lunsford, 1983, 1966, 1949, 1943, 1942, 1941, 1940, 1933, 1921, 1913, 1912

     "15. Santa Monica High School, 601 Pico Boulevard. The cornerstone for the high school was laid on April 11, 1912, on what was once known as Prospect Hill; the campus has expanded over the years to its present size by incorporating the former Santa Monica College site.

     "The high school contains a great many points of interest, especially . . . Barnum Hall, dedicated to William F. Barnum, who served as principal from 1913 to 1943 . . . Two special items of interest in Barnum Hall's lobby are a mosaic-tile mural depicting the landing of the Vikings and a four-foot-tall concrete owl that stood atop the original high school from 1913 until 1933, when an earthquake caused its removal.

Ocean Park

     "42. Church in Ocean Park, 235 Hill Street. A United Methodist Church established in 1913, the present brick church building was built in 1923.

     "58. Los Amigos Park, Fifth and Ocean Park. This three-acre city recreation park is the former site of John Adams Junior High School, which was built in 1913 and abandoned after the 1933 earthquake when the new junior high school was built at 16th and Pearl. The land was leased to the city for park purposes in 1949 after having been used by the Army as a recreation center and by the Navy as a training site. It was for many years the location of the Morgan Theatre, which occupied the former Army recreation hall as a community theater until it was destroyed by fire in 1966."

(Return to Sources)

 Kelyn Roberts 2017