1930-1940 Rydgren 

Karl Rydgren [1914- ] I Remember, Unpublished Ms., 1975 [Reprinted 2005], 1933, 1930, 1930s, 1929, 1924, 1920s, 1919, 1914, 1908.

"In 1908, my Dad worked for Mr. Erikson of the Frisco Bakery (on Pier Avenue) delivering bread. My Dad took photos of the great White Fleet when it passed by. I have a photo from back then of Dad with a horse drawn cart at 4th Street and Marine. Mr. Erikson died when the floorboards of his carriage broke and he fell through. The horse's hooves kicked him in the stomach, and he died. Mrs. Erikson had a cafeteria at the corner of Pier Avenue and the Speedway in the early 1930s. Mrs. Erikson's brother, Carl Johnson, owned a restaurant at the 3rd Street alley and Wilshire in the early 1930s. He later opened another restaurant in the old Santa Monica Evening Outlook building on 4th Street north of Arizona Avenue. Mr. Johnson was quite a pastry chef and member of the Elks Lodge #906 for many years.

"When I worked for Mr. Dehne, he had 250 cases of near beer in a storage room in 1932-33. Prohibition was ended, but some people wouldn't drink the 3.2% beer. So I sold every bottle he had, for 25 cents each. People came from as far away as Pasadena."

"John MacPherson was a terrific swimmer who helped build the Santa Monica breakwater. He was the only person to die during construction. He fell onto the breakwater as the boat from Catalina was off-loading heavy rocks and was crushed.

" . . .

"Santa Monica High School played Venice High in football regularly each year. Every game there were fist fights, but no knives or guns. The last game was played at UCLA with the usual fights.

"The statue of movie star Myrna Loy in front of Venice High was often painted by kids, as was the Seal in front of Santa Monica High.

"Santa Monica High played Santa Ana for the C.I.F. title. Jack Noonan caught the only pass for the only score. Santa Ana had a huge team."

(Back to Sources)

Kelyn Roberts 2017